Monday, January 26, 2009

You Should Pick Me For A Client

So you’re an agent and thinking, “Why should I pick this guy as a client?”


To start, I have not only written several manuscripts that are polished and ready to publish; I have a very comprehensive marketing plan to go along with them. I fully comprehend the need to go out and sell the book. At no point does my marketing plan include selling to relatives and co-workers. It focuses on my target demographic markets where I can get the most interest and traffic towards my book with the means available to me.


I have a day job. What does that mean? It means, I have an income to pay my bills, put food on the table and do my part to keep the beer industry healthy. Therefore, any royalties or advances I receive will go back into advertising and promoting the book.


Why would I do that? This is what you need to do to build a business. This is a business and the book is the product. Get your ad in front of one million people and you may get ten thousand (1%) to take an interest in your book. From that ten thousand, you will at best get one hundred to make the purchase. If you target your ads to your specific demographic, those numbers should change from one percent to ten percent. So, to sell thirty thousand copies, I will have to place ads in front of three million people in my target market. Outside of my target market, that ad will have to be viewed by three hundred million people which can only be done on a global scale. I believe my books are good but there is little chance of them being translated into Xhosa (African Click Language).


Another reason: I will not call you everyday. I have a life and understand you have other clients and a need to sell their books. You also most likely have a life filled with parties on yachts and super models wanting to make you dinner. The last thing you need is a phone call from me right as Sting is asking your opinion on his newest release.


I don’t have just one story I want to tell. For the foreseeable future, I can write two to three books per year. Not that I would do that, I’m just saying writer’s block is not an issue with me. Most of my books can be made into series. So if they are selling, I can make more.


I also make really good chocolate chip cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment